top of page

Student Visa

Student visa (Subclass 500) is an option for International students across the world to get their education in Australia. For this, International students must enrol in a full-time course in an accredited institution. Student visa holders can work up to 40 hours per fortnight during a semester, and unlimited hours during semester breaks. Student visa holders may have family members accompany them to Australia for the duration of their courses, where the family members are eligible to work for unlimited hours.


  • Higher Education Sector:
    For international students seeking to study towards a bachelors degree, associate degree, graduate certificate, graduate diploma or a masters (by coursework) degree.

  • Postgraduate Research:
    For international students wishing to earn a masters (by research) or a doctoral degree.

  • English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS):
    For international students who wish to undertake a stand-alone English language course that leads to a Certificate I, II, III or IV, or an English course that does not result in a formal Australian award.

  • Primary or Secondary school course:
    For international students wishing to attend a primary school, junior secondary or senior secondary school, or participate in an approved secondary school exchange program.

  • Vocational Education and Training:
    For international students seeking to study towards a Certificate I, II, III or IV (except ELICOS) diploma, advanced diploma, vocational graduate certificate or vocational graduate diploma courses.

  • Non-award courses:
    For international students who wish to undertake non-award foundation studies, other full-time courses or components of courses that do not lead to an Australian award.

  • Student Guardians:
    For parents or adult relatives of international students with a student visa that is studying in Australia and seeking to stay in Australia as the student's guardian. Generally, the student has to be younger than 18 years; exemptions may apply.

bottom of page